October 16, 2006

Good Genes

Those of you who know me know that I've spent a good deal of time lately going to the dentist and an oral surgeon. In my newfound zeal for getting and staying healthy, I decided to take care of my mouth. Gum disease runs in my family. So now I go to the dentist every six months (crazy), I got my wisdom teeth removed (all four of them) and I'm planning some "dental work." The dental work is not super critical, but it will help maintain healthy gums in the long run. Plus, it's a little piece of vanity that I can embrace in the process.

I was talking with one of my friends about this today online. We started musing about family traits, things passed down from one generation to the next. Although she is a third child, we concluded that she is not the product of a mid-afternoon soiree with the milkman. (Side note: the milkman/third child theory has its holes, but is founded in scientific fact.) She looks too much like her dad. I'd prefer to have more definitive evidence, but if that makes her feel better, then so be it. I, for one, know for a fact that I am the product of my mother and father. Although, I have to say, I have picked up all of my personality traits from my mom's side. Alla famiglia!

Then my friend said the funniest thing to me.

You gotta take the good genes with the bad - you can make a mean pasta sauce, but you pay the price with your gums...

And then I thought to myself, you know, she's right. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I love my family. And I love my heritage. Not everyone can cook Italian food. So what if I have dentures by the time I'm 40. Gnocchi is totally gum-able.

No comments: