January 3, 2007

New Year's, I Guess

Oh, New Year's. New Year's, New Year's, New Year's. You know what I say? I say screw it. I don't believe in resolutions. But I guess I believe in reflection. But, then again, I don't believe that reflection should happen just at New Year's. Or at any one time really. Confused? Yeah, me too.

People talk about the pressure of New Year's Eve. Where to go. What to wear. Who to see. Big club versus small party. Wine versus beer. The good champagne or not. DD or cab. Silver or gold.

And then comes the pressure of New Year's Day and the resolution. Finances. Fitness. Jobs. Order. Security. Personal goals. AHHHH!

And then it's January 2nd. And you're thinking, whoa. What just happened? It can be a real rush of adrenalin. And then it's over.

As I struggle to write 2007 on file names and checks (and I'll probably still be struggling well into 2010; I never seem to catch on to the year), I can't help but think that the change in year is somewhat meaningless. Life doesn't necessarily happen in 365-day increments. Life is a continuous flow. I try to reflect, set goals and think about important things all year. Not just on some hazy hungover federal holiday.

However, the New Year's phenomenon does have its benefits. It's the perfect excuse to party with friends, call people you haven't in a while, wish loved ones health & happiness... and be with someone special. I'll take that excuse any day.

So here's to life. Here's to love. And to continuous good things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, did you have some special to spend it with?

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! I couldn't agree more about life being a continuum instead of a 365-day cycle.

So far the only thing that has really changed in DC this New Year was enactment of the smoking ban. Otherwise seems business as usual.

AO said...

haha, yes, i did spend it with someone special. and i will leave it at that. re: the smoking ban, i think it's horrible! even though i quit, i'm still against the ban. it's horrible for both the businesses and the smokers. :)