October 10, 2004

Electric schmetric, that’s what I say.

What ever happened to the simple days of candles and oil lamps? I’ll tell you what happened…

We’ve got people like Ben Franklin who think they can go around with kites and metal conduits, waiting for bolts of lightning to hit them. Now, tell me he wasn’t crazy. And then came Edison, inventor of the light bulb. And it was all downhill from there…

At first, the thought of turning light on and off with the ease of a simple switch was more than appealing. People were really happy about it … to the point where they would have electricity parties all night long. Little did they know that the use of electric power was slowly eating away at our natural resources.

As a result of the our continued exploitation of electric energy, which has spiraled from the early electricity parties I mentioned to what W now calls the “Internets,” the U.S. depends on coal, oil and natural gas for energy. These are called “fossil fuels.” Whoa, fourth grade flashback. Anyway, fossil fuels are what drive electricity. They are nonrenewable, meaning they will eventually run out and risk harming the environment in the retrieval process.

This is why renewable energy resources – mainly wind and solar power – are really important. We need to look into these sources now, before it’s too late.

Aren’t you inspired? I would be, except for the fact that I rely on electricity for EVERYTHING. From my alarm clock to my refrigerator to my computer to my rotating disco ball. And now, it has become even more top-of-mind as I embark on my first apartment where I will be paying an electric bill. All utilities are NOT included? What??!!!??!?! Are you crazy? Are you Ben Franklin?

Check it out:
http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumerinfo/factsheets/renew_energy.html
http://www.nrel.gov/clean_energy/reimportant.html


2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
AO said...

Sorry boon... I did steal the "schm" from you. Or, did you steal it from me? Who's older here? Hmmm.... And, damn the man is right!