October 13, 2004

SHOUT OUT

Just wanted to give a quick shout out to my homies in Brugge.

Actually, this SHOUT OUT is for the good folks over at Geico, who really made me wet my pants the other night because I was laughing so hard. (Disclaimer: I didn’t really wet my pants, but exaggeration adds to the effect of a story.)

I was quietly watching TV, enjoying the mindlessness of the evening, when a commercial came on about the latest reality TV show. It featured a newly married couple who are tasked with living in the “Tiny House,” which is also the name of the show. Everything about the house is proportionally smaller than it should be. Their legs hang over the bed, their heads hit the ceilings, they bump into each other constantly, spawning petty arguments – you get the picture.

After they introduce the plotline, the announcer dramatically says, “The tensions will boil. The drama will be real. But it won’t save you any money on your car insurance.” And then it hits you! This is not real. This is a Geico commercial. Doh! Tricked again!

The SHOUT OUT is well deserved. Not only is the spot incredibly well written, capturing the many hilarious nuances of reality shows, but it really sucks you in and leads you to believe that this is a real commercial for an upcoming new show. It also leads you to realize that you are obsessed with reality TV, no matter how much you try to convince yourself otherwise.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like to be tricked, but, Geico, this commercial rocks. I’m also willing to place bets on when Fox will start production on their own version of “Tiny House.”

No comments: