April 11, 2006

The Simple Life

I was speaking with my cousin the other day over instant messenger. For the sake of anonymity, let's call her "Lana."

We started reminiscing about the good 'ole days growing up on our grandparents' lake. Playing regular hide and seek. Then playing our suped up version of hide and seek (which was pretty intense) and inventing all kinds of things. As Lana recalled our genius idea to sell skipping rocks, I was reminded of how simple life had been.

We were probably between the ages of 8 and 15, collectively, at the time of these adventures. We created a club called the BDC (I will not reveal what those letters stood for as I took an oath). We had club colors, and a club song. We - my cousin, my sister (whom I shall call "Schmadri") and I - were the primary members. Occasionally, we'd let in an "honorary member" such as my grandfather or Sister Whatshername. Yes, there were nuns in my childhood. Lots of them.

We conducted intellectual experiments such as bug collection and classification. I don't remember what book we used to "classify" the bugs, but there was definitely a system, no doubt.

Our advanced version of hide and seek included a series of clues, each one leading to the next until you found the hiding BDC member. This took a great deal of patience on the part of the hidden person, believe me. Those games would last a loooooong time. I remember one game when my grandmother was a special "real life" clue. She got a kick out of it. And so did we.

We had planned to sell drinks at a slightly cheaper rate than my grandfather's restaurant. The concept of putting him out of business of course never crossed our minds. We were just proud that we thought of the idea.

And the skipping rocks? Apparently Lana had a bag full of them, which we individually tested for smooth and long-lasting skipping capabilities. Our slogan - "Pre-tested. Guaranteed to skip." Who in their right mind wouldn't buy something with that solid of a guarantee?

We had it made. Those summers were some of my most fun times ever. And then we grew up.

I've been thinking a lot about the complication of everyday life, now that I'm older. What changed? Was there a turning point? How did I go from selling rocks to paying rent? How did I go from feeling free and secure... to feeling free and really really worried?

Recently, I've come to realize that it is useless to stress about things out of my control. And that's really comforting. I've been able to let go of a lot. And my body feels calmer.

But I can't escape the fact that life is frickin' complicated now! Back in the day, there was no rent. There was no "life plan." There were no relationship issues, no long-distance friendships, no deadlines, no major heartaches...

I would eat Cookie Crisp for breakfast and mac n cheese mixed with Chef Boyardee for lunch. Diets? Never heard of 'em.

We would dive for golf balls in the lake, over by the golf course. The concept of tan lines wasn't even a thought. Just good clean fun. Oh, and an occasional angry man in pastel plaid.

I wish I had some great conclusion, but I don't. I guess life changes, and we change with it. Lana, Schmadri and I grew up, at least a little. :) We have a new bond now. We are the young women of the family. It's an exclusive membership. And we pretty much still rule. For real.

No comments: