August 10, 2006

The Urge to Dance

Did you ever just get the urge to break it down on the sidewalk? I did. This morning. It surprises me because it was raining, I was under my umbrella and it was muggy as hell. But my ipod was turned up and I couldn't control the urge.

I was at a red light. The red stop hand forced me to stand still, waiting for the white walk man to appear. Some mellow reflective song ended. And then, as if the gods planned it, just as I was allowed to cross the street, just as the white walk man showed his face, Aretha blurts out "This the House that Jack Built."

It was a long walk signal. Now, in DC, the walk signs tell you how many seconds you have to cross. This particular intersection gives you about 75 seconds. I thought, you know what, I could totally take my time and dance across this street! I could do all my moves that I normally do in my head. I could twist around, throw in a little shoulder action, a little hip action, and give these stopped cars a show!

So now my new obsession is to dance across intersections. Wouldn't this make morning commutes so much more entertaining!? I mean, seriously, why not? The cars at the opposite light can't go anywhere, and I have all the time in the world to dance across!

I think Washingtonians would be so much happier if this actually happened. We all have ipods already. And we're bobbing our heads. I say, let it out, people! You know you want to! Dance across that intersection! Don't let societal norms hold you back! Jackson 5, Aretha, Whitney, George Michael, techno remixes, Rent Soundtrack... whatever! You feel it, you go for it.

Haha, ok, so I've had some wine. But this thought actually did cross my mind this morning. Think about it. I picture the opening scene of Austin Powers when they all dance in unison down the street in cheesy outfits. The new DC... just you wait.

No comments: