August 15, 2006

Why We Crave the Bad

I've been wondering a lot lately why we crave what is obviously not good for us. Why do I reach for the hidden box of cigarettes? The bikers and struggling musicians? That last beer before the night's end? The french fries? The chocolate fudge sundae? An extra trip to the ATM? The unattainable? The incapable.

It might be the thrill. You know. The thrill of being "bad." Making out in the bushes behind a crowded street. Feeling like a bad ass at a local bar. Going 90 on the highway. These are all things I do! And I'm a rational, logical person. Right? How does it all make sense I wonder.

Deep down, I know what's good for me. I know that I'm ingesting toxins into my body with every puff, with every bottle of Magic Hat. I know I risk getting another hundred dollar ticket every time I go above 65. But, yet, that doesn't stop me from surpassing 85. Every time. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME???

I had a recent chocolate craving. No, strike that. I had a recent "get the hell out of my way or I will frickin' kill you if I can't find a piece of god damn chocolate around here" craving. Don't worry, I was successful. Thank god. Anyway, I wondered why. I'm really not a huge dessert person. It definitely isn't that time of the month. So what did I really need?

After some extensive research (ok, a few google searches, you caught me), I discovered that there are, in fact, studies that show that chocolate is like sex. Cocoa releases serotonin, dopamine and something called phenylethylamine. Essentially, they all make you feel, shall we say, "excited." Now, you'd have to eat a frickin' 18-wheeler full of the stuff to really get, shall we say, "excited," but still. Point taken.

Second point: there is nothing wrong with feeling excited! Sure, the rational side of me says, "Date the nice boy.. the safe boy.. order the salad.. you don't need alcohol to have fun.. and save money, make a frickin' sandwich today!" but where's the fun in that?

The release of serotonin is a natural phenomenon. I believe that certain activities were meant to do this. Sorry, dear friends at the Vatican, but it's true.

I've been trying to convince myself to get past the lack of excitement - the lack of serotonin - in a few situations recently. I try to convince myself that, in the long term, this will make me happier. But, at least for me, I need a little spark. I need to feel weak in the knees. I need to feel like my family might not approve. And, god damnit, I need another french fry.

No comments: