March 19, 2007

Internet

For as much as I complain about spam, I realized over these past few weeks how much the Internet means to me.

You see, one fateful day a few weeks ago, a Comcast man called me at work. He explained that he was updating something and that I needed to come home so that he could reconnect my cable. As I was at work, I was unable to go home right that second. What ensued was a series of events inexplicable even for me. Something about wires.

Anyway, my Internet was out for what felt like years. I would come home from work and stare aimlessly into my desktop. I played some solitaire. I tried to read a book. I tried to watch public access television. I even made a pizza.

My life became different. I can't say it was all bad. I mean, the pizza was really good. I ate it right the heck up.

I went to bed earlier too. And I got to work in plenty time, unable to be distracted by morning cnn.com checks, iTunes downloads and mindless MySpace searching.

But something was missing. I felt disconnected from the world.

I thought a lot about this, wondering if my dependency on the Internet is a bad thing. Does it mean that I'm losing a desire for actual human contact? That I would prefer to type rather than talk? Or that my eyesight will deteriorate faster than normal?

The answers to those questions are decidedly "no." Well, I'll have to wait on the eyesight thing. But other than that, I think I keep in touch with friends and family more than a lot of people. And the Internet is what helps me do it. It also helps me stay on top of my job, world events, local happenings and, lest we forget, college basketball.

And I seem to strike a healthy balance. I love doing fun things and being outside. But how can I plan a trip to Great Falls without checking weather.com first? In a sense, the Internet helps me do more things away from it than within it. Deep thought of the day. It's good to be back online.

If you're just getting into the Internet, welcome. Here is a clip that may help you get acclimated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm totally addicted to the internet. i dont think it's a good thing!

MUD said...

Welcome back. Missed your insight and humor. MUD