May 8, 2007

I’m Outdoorsy, I Swear

I’m having a hard time typing. Why, you ask? Because I fell. And my left hand is in a splint.

I wish I could say it was a tragic incident. Like, for example, I risked my own life scaling the side of a building trying to save an old lady from certain death. But no. It comes down to a simple tale of inappropriate footwear.

It was a gorgeous day. We were walking to the zoo. There was a trail. Oh fun! A trail, I said. I’m outdoorsy. Not a problem.

About five steps into this “trail,” my flip-flops decided that they no longer needed to carry me upright. And down I went. Right on my hand. Sunglasses and pride shattered, I sat for a good two minutes, trying to conceal the tears. And the nausea.

Now, I’ve experienced a good deal of trails. Hell, I’ve bouldered the sides of mountains. I’ve waded through flooded valleys. I’ve even hiked Tasmania. And this is the “trail” that defeats me?

If I was with my mother or my best friend, I think I might have milked it a little more. Or been more realistic. But I was with a guy. The guy I’m dating. Who, I might add, is very athletic. So what did I do? I gave myself those two minutes, and then I said, on to the zoo! I’m fine! What? There is blood streaming down my leg? Whatever. It’s fine! I'm an independent and strong woman, who, despite a possible broken wrist and a small gash on my leg, is totally and completely FINE.

I toughed it out for more than four hours. That is how “tough” I am.

Despite the throbbing pain, it was a great four hours.

However, the next day, after a precautionary trip to the ER, I realized both the silliness of pride… and the importance of ice packs.

3 comments:

MUD said...

Do you know how many people die from heart attacks because they don't get medical treatment until it is too late? The proper foot wear necessary for hiking is not flit flops (If you were old enough you would call them thongs but now days that term is taken by something worn on the other end of the legs) Yesterday I poked my tumb with a staple and it is big and shiny and red this morning. MUD

Anonymous said...

ah, yes, PRIDE. the deadliest of all the seven sins. but you are a survivor! and a champion!!!

AO said...

thanks for the encouragement, people! wrist sprain, staple wound, whatever. we will survive!