May 14, 2007

Tomorrow

My head hurts. It's been hurting all day and, out loud, I say I don't know why, but I do. Tomorrow things will change. For the better, I think. But something inside me is breaking. Have you ever made a big decision and although, deep down, you know that it's right for you, you feel like it's letting someone else down? Like you've let yourself down too? That is how I feel.

I got a letter from her yesterday. She expressed gratitude to me. She said I was there for her. But in the back of mind, I thought, I've let her down. I promised - and I swore - to myself that I would fight for her. I wanted to make it go away. I wanted to end it. I wanted to make a difference. Right now, looking back on the past year or so, I don't know if I've done anything at all.

I wanted to be stronger. I know things weren't exactly ideal, but when did I become selfish? When did I stop pushing? When did I decide, it's not worth it, or, I am worth more than this?

I know I'll be happier. But I'll always look back and, on a very personal level, regret quitting. I'm sorry. I'm sorry if I let you down. I wanted so badly to fight to the end. And I chose another path. I will volunteer, but it won't be the same. I won't face it everyday. I won't speak it everyday. I won't be hurt everyday thinking of it. For the longest time, I needed that pain. Sounds messed up, I know. But I needed to feel like I was doing something about it. Even if it hurt.

Now I feel another kind of hurt. The hurt of giving up on a mission. The hurt of choosing to better my own life. Who knew the possibility of choosing a better path could be painful. But it is to me. I'm sorry.

I know I was a speck in the grand scheme. And I know that my own contribution was small, if anything. So in that way I can rationalize it. But my head still hurts. A lot. And I will go to bed tonight with tears in my eyes, thinking of you. And thinking of tomorrow.

And there you have it.

1 comment:

MUD said...

Sounds like you made a transition in life that you weren't ready for. The older you get, the more you realize that life is just one big change after another. We all had a best friend, a first love, perhaps a last love or a close family member we no longer have a relationship with.
My philosophy is to try to do your best and that's all you can do. Love, laugh and take aspirin for those days you head hurts and move on in life. You can replay your life in your dreams but don't beat yourself up over things that change. Good Luck MUD