December 7, 2007

The Bucks

Even the soothing sounds of Norah Jones couldn't break through the negativity. The line at the Bucks was out the door this morning. Caffeine addiction is a serious business, apparently. And our dealers wear seasonally colored aprons. Everything’s great if we can get it fast. But insert a bottleneck in supply chain? Madness. It was an interesting juxtaposition, I thought, as I stood about nine people away from my reduced-fat banana chip coffee cake. On one hand, I felt very wholesome and wintery. Norah Jones was singing I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas. The smell of coffee and cocoa filled the air. There were sweet things all around me. But on the other hand, I noticed that no one was smiling. People were cutting in line and, very unabashedly and loudly, being told to take their place. There was tension. Depressing news was streaming silently in the background. And it was cold. Despite all this, there we stood. "I’m dreaming of a white... foamy latte."

3 comments:

Tim said...

funny how depressing these places can be. you're right, though. its holiday cheer vs the harsh reality of 30 degrees and it getting dark before you get off of work every day.

glad to have you back!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Computador, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://computador-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.