May 8, 2006

Books Are Cool

I did it! I finally read a whole book, in its entirety, cover to cover, yes sir, finito!

It's been a while since I've read a real book that wasn't about Buddhism or Clay Aiken. Haha. Yes, gotta love life's extremes. I used to blame my lack of reading not on illiteracy or failure to comprehend complex themes, but on lack of time. "I'm in PR. I read all the time you know. News online, news in print, press releases, research. I'm sooo busy reading all day that all I want to do is drink a beer and watch some TV when I get home at night."

I now realize that all that is pretty much... um... bullshit.

I realized this when I turned on the TV one night to find Let's Make a Deal on NBC. Howie Mandel, what happened to you, man? Really. Walk Like a Man was such a good movie. Pure quality. Ha!

So I decided to read my book for a new book club I joined. I was hoping originally that the act itself, of joining the group, would inspire me to read. Not so much. I didn't even attempt to buy our first assignment. I was such a slacker.

But I did manage to read The Year of Magical Thinking, our most recent selection. I definitely recommend it. Kind of geared toward the female reader, but a great story. Especially if you've experienced loss in your life, it's an excellent examination of the human mind in a state of mourning. If you've never experienced such a loss, and I don't believe I have, it's a little harder to relate, but still interesting.

Anyway, I finished the book. Yes it was an easy read. Yes it was a chick book. But I did it. And, by god, I will do it again! No longer will I hide behind a cloak of poor excuses. No longer will I "spin" my lack of reading and blame it on my job. And, finally, no longer will I quote this...

- Am I supposed to be a man, am I supposed to say it's okay, I don't mind? I don't mind. Well, I mind! I mind big-time! And you know what the worst part is? I NEVER LEARNED TO READ!!!!
- Is that true?
- Yes, everything except the reading part.

ps: Seriously though, props to Howie Mandel. He deserves all the credit in the world for Bobby's World. For real this time.

No comments: