February 15, 2007

Love

What is love? Good question. Hmmm. What is love? Baby, don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more. Hey, hey. As another Valentine's Day has passed us by, I can't help but think of the meaning of love. And, of course, that Saturday Night Live skit. And that time Jim Carrey was one of the guys in the skit. That cracked me up.

Anyway, Valentine's Day is a crazy holiday. It's probably the most mixed holiday out there, as far as how people react to it. For some, it's the worst day of year, a reminder of loneliness or rejection. For some, it's a celebration of a partner, new or old. And for some, it's a sad day, a feeling of loss or despair. For some, it's an angry day, full of bitterness and pity. But for some, it's being grateful to have someone special. For some it's the simplicity of a heart. It's flowers. It's red. Yet for some, it's an obligation. But for others, it's a simple excuse to tell someone you care.

Where do you fall on the spectrum?

This year, I ran the gamut. I've always felt that Valentine's Day was about all the people in my life, not just a boyfriend (or the boyfriend I didn't have). So, this year, I missed someone. And that was lonely. Then I felt angry thinking of what someone else's partner had done to her. And I also felt very grateful for so many wonderful people in my life. And, I'll admit, I did make a few obligatory phone calls. But, this year, I was able to celebrate someone very special to me. Something that is new. And exciting. And I was able to love, and feel loved at the same time.

Life doesn't get any better than that.

I know Valentine's Day is a commercial holiday. But, as someone very wise (i.e., Schmenny) pointed out, so is Mother's Day. We don't throw our moms out on the street. So why throw love? Love comes in many different forms. And it can be directed at many different things, many different people. Let's embrace that.

This year, I feel lucky, almost unworthy, of the love I've received. And the love I've felt inside me. Finally, I think I was able to open up a little, break down some walls, and let it in.

No comments: