February 11, 2007

Sausage Sunday

Get your minds out of the gutter, people. I quite literally mean sausage.

I thought, by moving into the basement of a row house from a regular apartment building, that I had abandoned all kinds of things. For example, the pounding of a neighbor's music. Or the creepy guys down the hall. The skeevy, but generous, offers to smoke pot on a Tuesday night. The broken elevators. The long trips to the laundry room. And the unavoidable penetrating smells of ethnic food.

Yay. I had made it to the luxurious world of "the English basement."

Things were going somewhat well (aside from the horrible cult nomad couple above me)... until about three weeks ago. I didn't realize this last year, but, despite the privacy of this apartment, there is one place I failed to consider as a conduit for noise and smell. The frickin' fireplace.

During these past few weeks I've awoken to the smell of various pork products. This is not a horrible thing I guess. There are worse smells. And I love sausage. I also love bacon, fyi. But there is a time and a place for these things. For example, bangers and mash, the BLT, etc. Do I want to wake up to the smell of the greasy American breakfast every morning? No! I appreciate these foods, but come on, people. I eat Kashi for breakfast. Maybe the occasional muffin. The smell of fried meat at 7 am doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies.

So now I'm thinking, do I just sit by and let sausage control my life? Do I let pork products win? I am stronger than the pig, by God. And I will overcome. In retaliation, I will cook curry. I will cook fish. And I will saute garlic. And, by the end of all this aromatic cooking, everyone will want to be my friend.

3 comments:

MUD said...

Almost all fireplaces have a flue shat can be shut off. Close the damn flue and the smell won't come in. You are probably losing heat up the flue also. You could get a glass fire screen and close it off. People who complain seldome get their problem solved unless they do something. MUD

AO said...

haha, ok, thanks MUD. but I've already determined that the flu is broken. I'm in the process of getting it fixed... but thanks ever so much for your spectacular insight.

MUD said...

I will apologise for the sarcastic tone of my e-mail if you will. I really thought you were just another pretty face and out on your own without knowledge of things like fireplace flue's
I promise to play nice.
I promise to play nice.
I promise to play nice......
MUD