August 8, 2007

42 Tries to Kill Me

Unfortunately, I did not take the bus today. Believe it or not, I've been really looking forward to it. In this heat, are you kidding? Any opportunity to travel in some AC is just unbeatable. Well, I take that back. Laying on the beach would definitely beat AC on the bus. But, since I must go to work (I gots the bills), I prefer to show up not looking like a drowned rat. You understand.

However, today was different. I had an off-site meeting in a building very close to my apartment. It was quicker to walk and, since I was running late, that's what I did. And, boy, did I sweat. It was really sexy.

Anyway, as I crossed Columbia Road, at a crosswalk I'd like to point out (eh hem), a 42 practically ran me over. It's true. I saw him at that stop sign. The bastard. When I noticed him, he was just closing his door. Already a few steps into the road, I went for it. Any regular pedestrian in DC knows that you just have to, especially at the really busy intersections. There is no time for hesitation.

I swear to you, before I could blink, the bus was two feet from my head. I repeat, two feet from my frickin' head. I walked as fast as I could, but all the stuff for the meeting was weighing me down. The driver, now almost in the crosswalk, was pissed that he had to stop.

I gave him a look and scurried across, which, incidentally, caused me to sweat even more. Again, sexy.

I curse the 42 today. Trying to kill me is totally not cool. After all that I've given you!

2 comments:

HomeImprovementNinja said...

Columbia Road? You are suspiciously near the Ninja Fortress. I can't say more because the exact location is classified.

Sorry to hear the 42 tried to kill you. It just goes to show you that even bus drivers have a li'l ninja inside them.

Tim said...

first, i swear i didn't steal the tag line for my blog from your blog. second, i usually like the 42. sorry it tried to kill you. the drivers are usually pretty good on columbia road, but i guess they're like other drivers here, to whom stop signs seem not to exist. or pedestrians for that matter.