August 27, 2007

Seriously?

It's one of those internal monologue phrases I say constantly. Sometimes I find myself just staring at people and, in my head, repeating over and over, "Seriously?" Like, is she seriously talking on her cell phone that loudly? Or, is he seriously scratching his crotch right now? (Both examples, by the way, happen all too often on the 42).

Now that I'm all hardcore and biking to work, I don't have as many reasons to question people's behavior. I think it's simply because I have less time to fully observe the psychoses that surround me on the bus. Because, you know, I'm on a bike. Going a lot "faster." And I have to actually "pay attention" to the "moving cars." Yada yada, etc.

Anyway, I did have a "seriously" moment today. As I'm coasting down to work, a biker passes me on a road bike. This is normal. Road bikes are faster than mountain bikes. I accept that. But it was his outfit that intrigued me. At first, I thought it could be Lance, which, you know, would be amazing. But, no, definitely not Lance. So why was he dressed like Lance?

Was there a triathlon today? A race of some kind? No, my friends, there was not. And he was definitely not the first multi-colored spandexed biker I've seen.

I mean, really, A) where do these people get these biker outfits, B) where do they get the balls to wear actually them, C) now that I think about it, where are their balls? and D) where could they possibly be going?

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand the concept of aerodynamics. But, in the middle of the city? In rush hour? I can't imagine showing up for work dressed like I just finished the Tour de France. Well, there might be one exception. And that would be Halloween, people.

I really do want to know more about these super intense, overly decked out, wannabe Lance's. Just roll up your pant leg like the rest of us! I mean, seriously.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still laughing out loud at these! You should publish a compendium of them all! You'd make a mint! (And I've been dying to use the word "compendium" for at least a year now, so I got even more out of this than I anticipated!

HomeImprovementNinja said...

There's a guy at work who comes in with the Tour de Lance spandex and his bike (superman changes into clark kent when he gets to his office). He's kinda pudgy in the middle and the spandex makes him look like an overstuffed sausage.