August 14, 2007

Unfaithful

I never thought I'd do it. I never thought I'd stoop low enough to rationalize it. But today, I almost cheated. I almost cheated on the 42.

I was running late. It's become my m.o., unfortunately. I waited at my stop, stared at a few people (unbeknownst to them of course), read the top fold of the Post through the dispenser, fiddled with my "Recently Added" playlist and got my $1.25 ready. Finally, at long last, a bus appeared in the distance. Through the hazy sunshine, I saw its top approach. As it got closer, I realized it wasn't my beloved 42. It was a ... wait for it... H1.

I'm familiar with the H1. It's a rush hour bus with a limited schedule. Not as popular as the 42. of course. Believe it or not, it used to be my "bus of choice" back in the day when I worked a few blocks over. But today, it seemed like a scandal.

Do I board, I thought? Do I cheat on the 42 and abandon stability for a single morning? I didn't consciously want to do it, but it was so tempting. The H1 is actually a little faster (because it avoids the Circle), it's aesthetically pleasing, and, let's be honest, it gets the job done. Thoughts of the past filled my head. Never once did I want for a seat. So comfortable. So secure. And all those special mornings, when it came right on time...

But just when I was about to abandon my morals and step up into that bus, I thought, no. The 42 is probably right around the corner. Wait for it.

So I did. And you know what? I got to work exactly on time.

8 comments:

SAILOR MOON said...

i dont know why...but i think you just got a new blog reader hahah ...man that bus.....

Anonymous said...

Still loving your awesome sense of humor! So when are you coming to visit us in England? Cheers! John Haynes

Anonymous said...

Still loving your awesome sense of humor! So when are you coming to visit us in England? Cheers!
John

Anonymous said...

Dang, I repeated myself on that one...:-)

AO said...

John!!! I miss you! When I get some time off (and some cash) I would love to visit you guys! I hope you are well...

Anonymous said...

I miss you too! Come on down! We would love to host you!

Anonymous said...

("We" being John Haynes and family!"

Anonymous said...

("We" being John Haynes and family!"