August 28, 2007

Pickup Lines for Bikers

So I biked home today. Today was not the worst of DC humidity, for sure. But it was a little sticky out there. I had just biked up 18th Street at a fast pace. I was slightly out of breath, my heart rate soaring. My tank top, slightly sweaty. I rounded the corner at Columbia Road and came to a stop sign. I was feeling athletic and sporty. Beyonce had just finished singing Irreplaceable on my ipod. All around, the moment was empowering.

And then, just as I caught my breath at the stop sign, I hear...

"Hey baby, can I have a ride?"

I turn to look. I am not excited at what I see. But, I have to admit, it was flattering. I smile one of those "in your dreams" kind of smiles and, just as I stand up on the pedals, giving myself a good boost of speed, I sarcastically say, "Yeah, sure!"

I speed away, never to see Creepy Stop Sign Guy again.

As I biked home, I thought, couldn't he have thought of anything better? I mean, really. There have to be about a million cheesy pickup lines in my head right now, all having to do with bikes. I won't list them here (children read this) but seriously. You've got handlebars, water bottles with nozzles, soft seats, hard seats, peaks, straps, curves, tune-ups, saddles, mirrors, the concept of going down, lubes, tubes, helmets... ok, maybe not helmets. But you get the idea. "Hey baby, can I have a ride," will not impress me.

6 comments:

HomeImprovementNinja said...

I bet he was "Creepy Stop Sign Guy" because he wasn't good looking. If he looked like Brad Pitt (or whoever the latest hollywood prettyboy is), you would've given him your phone number and told your girlfriends about what a great sense of humor he has.

By the way, I got a bike the other day and after I get a lock I may start biking to work. Since you live near me, how long does it take to bike downtown? I work in Farragut/Dupont and it takes me 45 minutes door-to-door w/ metro b/c of the walking & train changing.

AO said...

haha. honestly, i think he'd still be Creepy Stop Sign Guy. :)

Tim said...

street harassment sucks! sounds even more annoying by bike.

home improvement ninja, it takes like 10 minutes to get to farragut sq from adams morgan by bike. just go right down 18th. or take the scenic route down connecticut or florida. how does it take 45 minutes for you to get to work?

SAILOR MOON said...

Let me school you ninja...Any guy no matter how good looking or ugly who hits on a female *and its totally not the time nor mood to be hit on) is going to be Creepy Stop Sign guy.

Why dont guys understand that its not always the time to hit on a girl or oggle her? Hmph
Good luck AO

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the standard New York or Philadelphia guy. You are kinda cute though.

Golden Silence said...

"[S]treet harassment sucks!"

Don't I know it.