April 5, 2007

Holy Thursday, Batman!

I went to Catholic school for more than 16 years. Yes, it's true.

Surprisingly true, in fact. Sometimes it shocks me how anti-Catholic I can be. I seem to be a paradox when it comes to religion.

When they taught me about morals and values, I was listening. But bread turning into the body? Huh? We don't accept gay people? Women can't be priests, even if they follow the same rules? The pope man is infallible? Whoa! Rising from the dead? Mindless recitation of words written by humans? Passing the basket? Homilies about spaghetti dinners?

Don't get me wrong, I love spaghetti, but sermons about pasta don't exactly reach my inner soul.

Yet, at the same time, I love gospel music. I love stories about faith that turns people's lives around. I love the sign of peace. I love service for others. I love thinking about how I'm blessed, or lucky. And I love how a prayer's sole purpose can be to wish someone else something good (whether there are magical powers that make it happen remains a mystery to me, but the intention itself is powerful).

So, how does such a confused Catholic celebrate Easter week? Well, I am drinking a beer right now. Jesus had wine, so I figure that's ok. I wished a few friends and family members a "Holy Thursday, Batman!" And I'm listening to the soundtrack to Jesus Christ, Superstar. Don't do it, Judas! Something tells me this will not turn out well!

1 comment:

MUD said...

If you like Christian music after all those years in a Catholic Church you would love the spirituals as sung in the black churches. Ave Maria ain't got nothing on Rock of Ages or the Old Rugged Cross.
We live in a world of Political Correctness and that just spoils it for everyone. I think what homosexuals do just ain't right but I love my relatives that are homosexuals. I hate abortion but don't want my Government intruding on a woman's decision. See, that is what makes it hard to do the right thing. People are afraid to say with out hate what they like or don't like. It is like saying I don't support Homosexual Marriages. Then realizing that if I don't want one, don't marry a homosexual and get on with life.
What ever you do or don't do this Easter weekend I wish you well and for you to be happy with yourself.