April 4, 2007

Jackie Chan

Last night, I awoke at 4 am to the sound of the loudest thunderstorm that ever existed. It was so loud that I resorted to my trusty earplugs reserved only for upstairs neighbor noises. Now they have two purposes: loud upstairs neighbors and crazy thunderstorms.

Usually I like thunderstorms. They tend to be peaceful in a weird way. The rain pounding on my window. The roar of the thunder. The comfort of being inside, under covers, in the midst of a violent war amongst the angels and demons. Wait, that was a flashback to grade school and the nuns. Sorry.

In any case, I did fall back to sleep and woke up to the sound of my alarm at 6:20. Not the best feeling in the world, but hey, I'm committed to my morning gym routine. So I stumble over to the WSC and sleepily discuss the night's storm with my friends at the front desk.

The conversation went something like this:

Me: "Dude, that thunderstorm was insane last night!"
Gym Woman: "Yeah, that was craaaaazy!"
Me: "It was so loud."
Gym Man: "I could barely believe it. I was like, Is that Jackie Chan? What's Jackie Chan doin' outside my window? You know what I'm sayin?"
Gym Woman: "Haha. Jackie Chan!"
Gym Man: "You know. I was like, what's that? Is that Jackie Chan?"
Gym Woman: "Straight up! Hahaha. Jackie Chan."
Me: (Awkward Laughter) "Haha. Yeah... Ok then. Catch you guys later."

Now, let me ask you. What does Jackie Chan have to do with thunderstorms? Am I missing something? I mean, I know he's a martial arts guru. He's very talented, been in several movies. But, does he make thunderous noises? Does lightning come out of his head? Really, I have no idea. It was so random to me. In my sleepy haziness, I just had to politely nod and walk away. Just walk away, I said. Uncomfortable laugh, and get out of there. So that's what I did. And that was the end of that.

If you have any insight to the correlation between thunderstorms and Jackie Chan, feel free to share.

No comments: