April 2, 2007

Idealistic Cynic

Yes. It's true. I am an idealist.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my previous post. As you can tell, I'm not a fan of the current administration. But let me be very clear in saying that I support our troops wholeheartedly. And, when it comes right down to it, I'm not sure I'd be loving John Kerry either. As my grandfather would say, "They're all crooks."

In the end, I simply hate it when people suffer. And sometimes I get overwhelmed by that emotion. I want the world to be a happy place, one where everyone helps their fellow man and one where we don't shoot people with guns. One where people are accepted for their differences. One where people don't have to drink diseased water. One where there is no desire to be better than each other, only to be with each other. One where there is no hate. One where nobody dies. Ever. And unicorns and fairies frolic about distributing chocolate pudding to everyone. And if you want whipped cream, you can have it. And if you are lactose intolerant, there is a soy option. And it's sunny every day of your endless and eternally happy life.

See where I'm going with this?

Although my idealistic side dominates, I often come to the unfortunate conclusion that idealism is very far from realism. People can be greedy and narcissistic. And, the more I realize this, the more cynical I become. And depressed. I start to crave pudding. And then I think of the magical pudding delivery system in my head and I smile again... it's a vicious cycle.

2 comments:

MUD said...

And I wish you a cherry on top to go with this utopia. I too want perfection and get depressed by reality. I hope you have a great week.

Anonymous said...

So. . . I used to think that I was the only crazy one out there who cried while watching the nightly news. The only one who internalized and personalized the war and strife that is broadcast and shot at us everyday from so many directions. I actually talked to a counselor once about how I couldn't talk to people about how upset I got about the school children killed in Beslan or the ever-growing number of AIDS orphans in Africa because people would think that I was being melodramatic. Afterall . . . all of those things do not really effect me, right? And then I stumbled upon this concept of "depressive realism" and finally someone had given a name and a very professional sounding definition to what I was thinking and feeling and I suddenly realized I was not alone. There are other people out there who people say are "depressed" when in actuality they just have a very real sense of what is going on in the world around them and actually spend time thinking about it. I also came to terms with the fact that that is not such a bad thing. Empathy and the ability to show compassion and concern with something bigger than yourself is a gift and something that is lacking from so many people's lives. It adds depth, a sense of appreciation and a willingness to help. I feel blessed that I have people in my life that share these same thoughts and feelings and are actually doing something about some of the negative occurences that surround them. I definitely count you as one of these special people in my life and I think that you should really get working on this pudding idea- it could be HUGE!