June 26, 2007

Cologne

It's no secret that men like cologne. It's also no secret that South American men, in particular, really like cologne. What baffles me is that a South American man, from my neighborhood, could be dressed in clothes as if he's going to build a house, or perhaps paint a house. He could be dressed in these clothes, yet he will apply more cologne than any man I've ever met at a black tie function.

One such man approached me on the 42 today. I was sitting down in a window seat, listening to some Counting Crows song on my ipod, and I got the whiff - the whiff of the South American hombre. I realize I'm playing into a stereotype, but, at least within the confines of the 42 world, it's true more often than not.

I know some people are bothered by this, but I'm not. To me, it's a very pleasant smell. And you know what it says? It says, I'm proud of myself. I'm proud of my life. I'm proud of my body. And I'm going to dress it up with a little fragrance. I don't care if I'm on my way to build a house. I care about how I smell today.

It's really a beautiful thing.

So this man approached me, and I said hello. He was very nice. We had a little chat. He got off at Dupont Circle. And his pride left me feeling proud to have met him. I also sneezed a few times, but that's ok.

2 comments:

J said...

Really? I feel like wearing that much cologne suggests you're not proud of your body or how you smell. Like you have to do it because you're trying to mask something.

That's why the days I wear cologne are few and far between.

AO said...

haha. well i'm glad you dont have that problem. for these guys though, i feel like it's more of a status symbol. they work so hard for what they have, and buying cologne (even though it may not be the best brand in the world) is a luxury for them. it's as if they are saying, i know i dont have everything, but i can still smell good, damn it. :)