June 19, 2007

Smelly Bus

This morning was the haziest morning of the year, so far that is. I was all comfortable in my apartment, even with the small amount of AC I allow myself to use (it's frickin expensive). And then I stepped outside. Jesus Christ. It was like walking into a sauna. I decided to take the good 'ole 42 to avoid looking like a drowned rat by the time I got to work. You know I love the 42. It is a glorious bus. But when it's hot and sticky out, and it's crowded, let's see... how do I say this. People smell.

I was convinced that deodorant was invented by a passenger on public transportation in the summertime. He saw the need, and he addressed it. But, of course, I had to confirm. Turns out that deodorant was invented by someone from Philadelphia in 1888. It stopped odor by inhibiting the growth of bacteria. Sweat is not normally smelly - it's the bacteria under your arms that makes it rank. Ew.

Of course, it was the city of brotherly love that gave us this wonderful creation. Less smelly people = more brotherly love. People on the 42, please ponder.

1 comment:

KJ said...

ha! i like your blog. feel free to check mine out...i just started this whole blogging business so there's only one post - but i plan to update frequently.

happy blogging!
-kj