June 29, 2007

Broken Cord

The ways human beings interact with each other in a group setting is endlessly entertaining to me. And also very informative.

Today, for example, I chose a seat toward the back of the bus. You know, where the cool people sit. No joke, it was me, some guy who looked like the token bad boy (I’m surprised he wasn’t smoking out the window) and another guy who probably was just getting home from an all-night drug-enhanced party (he was passed out, yet very stylish).

A few stops along, I realized that the “Stop Requested” indicator was not working. Normally, when you want to get off, you pull the cord. The indicator lights up and alerts the driver. Sometimes, on the fancy schmancy buses, a freakishly sexy voice repeats the request.

From the back of the bus, I noticed that every time someone wanted to stop, he or she would pull the cord. And, every time, nothing would happen.

Again and again, they would try. One woman asked the guy across from her to try the cord on his side of the bus. Still no luck. One by one, every person on the bus pulled the frickin’ cord. And nothing.

It was as if each person secretly said to himself, “These people are so dumb. Obviously, if I try to pull the cord, it will work. Because I am amazing.” Just like in an elevator, when every person who gets on presses the "lobby" button, people believe that their magic touch will somehow speed up the process. It doesn't.

Get over yourselves, people! The cord is broken!

No comments: