July 25, 2007

Baby Whisperer

Just when I thought I couldn't ever help anyone, something amazing happened today.

I had a rough morning, lots of crap on my mind, lots of things happening. Everyone was in my way, not because they were too slow, but more because they were too fast. I wished the world would just slow down. Little things were getting to me. I locked my door, glanced over at the bus stop, and, predictably, a bus was there, and it was leaving. I would have to wait for the next one. This happens a lot, but today, it seemed worse.

So I waited, and boarded the next one. Did you ever have one of those days when you wished you could just scream? Why is it we don't? I guess we wouldn't want to disturb the peace. And get arrested.

As I sat there, wishing I could just let it all out, I noticed a baby across from me. I was in that section of the bus where the seats face each other. Anyway, the baby was crying. Loudly. Instead of being annoyed and turning up my music, I was somehow calmed by it. I thought, man, this kid is lucky! So I looked at him and smiled. I might have actually stuck out my tongue.

The baby stared at me, suddenly stopped crying, and gave me a little smirk.

I had quieted the child. Could I have magical baby-quieting powers? Kids always seem to respond to me, but this was utterly amazing. Am I the baby whisperer? I feel like they should hire me to ride city buses and make babies stop crying. Could be a lucrative business... hmmm...

Nah, in actuality, I think the need to release emotion connected us. Sure, his emotion might have been more of a basic human one, like, for example, "I miss my bottle," but still. Lucky little bastard. Thanks, kid. I think we helped each other.

No comments: