July 26, 2007

Mean Cab Woman Goes Down

This was the scene this morning. Me = running late. Bus = not one in sight. Game time decision = wait and be even later, or splurge on a cab ride to work.

I went with the cab ride.

After about 10 cabs passed me by, all full with passengers, a driver finally stopped. He already had a passenger in the back, and usually I just wave these guys by (for 12 bucks, I'd like some personal service, I mean, really) but I decided to go for it. Who knew when the next one would come.

So I get in the front seat and instantly found myself missing the people of the 42.

Cabbie: Where you going?
Me: 18th and N please.
Mean Woman in Back: (huffing noises)
Cabbie: Ok, we go now.
Me: (taking my seat in the front) Great, thanks.
Mean Woman in Back: Oh Jesus! (more huffing, breathing noises)
Me: (sensing the tension) You can drop her off first.
Mean Woman in Back: Um, no, he can't. I'm going to Southwest!
Cabbie: It's ok, I drop you off first (meaning me). On the way. On the way.
Me: (timidly) Ok.
Mean Woman in Back: It is not on the way. Jesus Christ.
Cabbie: (increasingly annoyed, and louder) It is on way! It is on the way!
Me: (always trying to keep the peace) You can drop me off wherever. Just in the general area would be great.
Mean Woman in Back: (shuffling around, breathing heavily, adjusting the window up and down, up and down)
Cabbie: (at my stop) It's $10.80.
Me: (very uncomfortable) Great, can I have eight dollars back?
Cabbie: (just before he essentially pushes me out the door) Sure.
Me: (sarcastically) Thanks so much! Have a great day! (looking in the back seat at this woman who obviously needs some lovin') And you have a great day too!

She didn't know what to do. I loved it.

2 comments:

I-66 said...

Under "kill them with kindness" in the dictionary, if such an entry exists, I'd like to submit that the people at Webster's use this as the definition.

Herb said...

I would have said "have a blessed day."
That always confuses them.